Thursday, May 31

Off the Beaten Path's Doggie Treats

I don't like to cook for just myself; Wilfred is an integral part of our little family and I like to treat him as much as I treat myself. On a trip to Bass Pro Shops in Denham Springs I picked up a few toys for Wilfred, one of which was a squeaky duck. He's always had some sort of odd fascination with ducks, I try to get him as many duck toys as I can possibly find.
Wilfred playing duck
"Save me!" said the duck

Anyhow, included with the duck toys were some cookie bone shaped cookie cutters and a recipe for dog treats. I was most pleased. So as soon as I got home I went right to Work making these for Wilfred.

Ingredients:
2½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup powdered dry milk
½ teaspoon each salt and garlic powder
6 tablespoons margarine, shorting, or meat dripping (I used margarine)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon brown sugar
½ cup ice water

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350° F. Combine flour, dry milk, salt, garlic powder, and sugar. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal. Mix in egg. Add enough water so that mixture forms into a ball.
2. Pat out dough ½" think with your fingers on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Cut with doggie bone and heart cutters. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Do not store treats in sealed container.
Doggie Treats

Wilfred loves the doggie treats

Wilfred was hesitant at first, but he ended up loving them! In my opinion the best part about these treats is that they don't contain any artificial coloring or preservatives. I promise your pup will like them better than any treats you could find in stores!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover